What is the mandate of the Ontario College of Teachers?
Our authority is contained in the Ontario College of Teachers Act.
- regulate the teaching profession and govern its members
- determine membership criteria and issue, renew, amend, suspend, cancel, revoke and reinstate the Certificate of Qualification and Registration
- accredit pre-service and in-service teacher education programs that lead to certification for additional qualifications
- establish and enforce professional and ethical standards
- investigate complaints against our members and deal with discipline and fitness-to-practise issues
- communicate with the public on behalf of our members
perform other functions as laid out in the Act.