What is the College’s policy on the translation of documents needed for application?
You must arrange for an acceptable translator to translate any document not in English or French.
For documents you submit yourself, such as a birth certificate, include the original translation with a copy of the document.
If we receive an acceptable document from the granting institution that is not in English or French, we will send you a copy to arrange for the translation. When you send us the original translation, include the copy of the foreign-language document.
All translations must be accompanied by an original statement from the translator indicating:
- the translation is accurate and authentic
- the translator belongs to one of the acceptable categories (see “Acceptable translators”)
- the identification number and/or seal, name, address and telephone number of translator
- printed name and original signature of the translator.
To get the name of an accredited translator, contact the Association of Translators and Interpreters of Ontario (ATIO) at 1-800-234-5030 or 613-241-2846 (email: email@example.com; website: www.atio.on.ca). Please confirm with ATIO that the translator is certified to translate from the language of the document into English or French. Translations completed by ATIO candidates for certification are not acceptable.
We also accept translations from: the consulate, high commission or embassy to Canada of the country that issued the documents; this information is available at https://travel.gc.ca/assistance/embassies-consulates
- a translator who has received accreditation through a federal, provincial or municipal government in Canada
- COSTI translation services, if no other certified translator is available; COSTI-IIAS Immigrant Services at 416-658-1600, firstname.lastname@example.org or costi.org
- a translator certified by a professional association of translators in Canada, a list of which is available on the website of the Canadian Translators, Terminologists and Interpreters Council at cttic.org
- a translator certified by The Ordre des traducteurs, terminologues et interprètes agréés du Québec (OTTIAQ), a list of which is available at ottiaq.org.
Keep copies of what you submit as we do not return documents.